How can you get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a passed family member or you chose to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated versus throwing them away.
There are lots of people suffering from hearing loss who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and a number of organizations out there that acquire and distribute those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Important to Donate a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- About 14% of the total population, has loss of hearing
- 91% of adults suffering from loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever had them
This is really worrisome. Because untreated hearing loss has been linked to numerous health issues from a greater risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. In fact, new research comes out every day showing how crucial hearing is to your general health. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health problems (and in some instances even reverse them).
And the final convincing fact is that hearing loss can cost the ordinary family $12,000 in income each year. But that expense can actually be reduced by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may just not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can have an enormous impact, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who couldn’t normally afford a hearing aid. It could also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are numerous volunteer groups and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can just give us a call.